Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Why I Didn't Have Real Friends Until High School

We all try to get what we want. One might argue that this is even more true for women. All of our willfulness and self-importance (yes, it's true) starts at an early age. Our daddies call us Princess, mommies want their little girl to grow up strong and not let men take advantage of you because that's all they want so always be wary of them. It's like we get the world handed to us on a silver platter.

Most young girls want a Disney-themed something at some point in their childhood, and I was no exception to this pattern. I wanted a Pocahontas-themed birthday party for my third-ish birthday. I got my Pocahontas birthday party. I woke up that morning to a forest of balloons, including a Mylar balloon with Pocahontas on it.


I had to go to preschool still, but my mom and grandpa stayed with me for the whole morning. They had brought a Pocahontas cake, so we shared the cake with the rest of the kids and teachers in the room. I figured that I couldn't eat a whole cake without getting sick, so why not share with my classmates? That was where I drew the line with my charity.

Mom had also brought several balloons of varying colors (from my forest) for me and everyone to look at and enjoy during the little party. That's when things started to go wrong. The other kids started fighting over who got what colored balloon to take home that day. How dare those insolent little brats believe that they could just take my balloons!


I screamed and cried for my mommy to make them give my balloons back to me.


She assured me that the balloons would be mine, but I had my doubts, all the way up until I got to go home, where I was once again greeted by my forest.

No comments: