Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Mice

I went to visit my parents this week to get the remainder of my belongings. As you may recall from my post about cows mooing, my parents live in a semi-rural area, definitely remote. The cows across the road moo, the foxes have babies under the deck, the rabbits monchmonch the birdseed that the birds drop off the porch, and the field mice find ways into the house. The mice usually try their tricks to get in and around at night, as they are nocturnal. And of course this is when the house is most quiet, so our two German shorthair pointers can hear them, and being pointers, want to hunt them. Lucy is a purebread, and also an idiot, so she was going the most nuts over the mice. She would not give up the search for that furry rodent, even after its last appearance over an hour ago.



After I had already gone to bed, I could still hear the pitter patter of Lucy's little claws on the hardwood floor as she paced between the window and the buffet table that the mouse had disappeared under. This made me a little apprehensive... Where did the mouse go if not out of the table and into Lucy's mouth and claws? Might it have had a hole somewhere under there where it could roam to any other part of the house? I was wrought with terror as I lay awake in the hardly-ever-used-and-thus-dusty guest bed.


Could mice climb walls? What if there was one on the bed right now? What if one fell from the ceiling and onto my face? Should I open my eyes and brave what horrors I might find? Or should I keep them shut and put the tiny claws to every itch and scratch I felt on myself? I was afraid of both sides.


There is no resolution to this story. Who knows if mice were actually crawling on my face? All I know is that I'm just happy to have my own bed back.

No comments: